Over the past few months, Baldwin County has made many news headlines for continuing growth and successful workforce development efforts. The county has been recognized on both state and national levels for its recent successes, so we’ve compiled some key spotlights from the summer to share below.
Expansions & Investments
- Paris Air Show—Baldwin county representatives travelled to the 2017 Paris Air Show, putting the county on the international map for aerospace job growth.
- South Alabama Mega Site—Nasdaq: CSX recently designated the South Alabama Mega Site as a CSX Select Site, meaning that the property is development ready and pre-positioned to meet manufacturers’ needs.
- Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine—Auburn University recently broke ground on their new satellite educational complex, in Gulf Shores, which will house programs in veterinary medicine, aviation, and research and economic development.
- OWA—Foley’s new theme park held its grand opening in July. The multi-million dollar development is providing over 400 new jobs for residents of Baldwin County with plans for future growth.
- Big Business Investment—For the second year in a row, Baldwin County ranked as the top Alabama county for “Incoming Business Investment” by SmartAsset. On a national scale, Baldwin County has risen to become the 88th best county for business investment, in the United States—up from 217th in 2015.
- Fastest Growing—AL.com announced the top 25 fastest growing cities in Alabama, based on the 2016 US Census Bureau. 4 of the 5 fastest growing cities are located in Baldwin County.
- Leader of Talented Workforce—Moving up 11 spots from Emsi’s 2016 workforce “Talent Attraction Scorecard,” Baldwin County was ranked in the Top 100 counties in the United States for workforce talent attraction, in 2017. In addition, Baldwin County was the top county in Alabama for attracting and retaining skilled workers.
- Big Job Growth—According to New Geography’s 2017 rankings, the Daphne-Fairhope-Foley MSA was named the 9th best small MSA for job growth out of over 250 U.S. locations.
- Making the Move—Baldwin County was named by SmartAsset as one of the top 5 best places to get a mortgage in Alabama.
- Achieving Excellence—Spanish Fort was recently designated as an “Alabama Community of Excellence” by successfully completing the Alabama Communities of Excellence (ACE) comprehensive three-phase approach to economic and community development. Bay Minette was also recognized as an incoming participate in the 2017 class, as they began the ACE process this summer.
- Innovation in Baldwin—Robertsdale’s Quality Filters, a certified manufacturer, received an award for “Outstanding Achievement in Innovative Manufacturing” from the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama (EDPA).
- Increasing Jobs—Baldwin County made the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ list of the Top 50 MSAs in the U.S. for new job growth with a over-the-year change of 2,200 jobs since May of 2016.
To keep up with more Baldwin County headlines, check out our website.