Expanding In Alabama
UTC Aerospace Systems unveiled a new 80,000-square-foot Baldwin County facility that will add 260 jobs in Foley, Alabama, increasing its Foley workforce to 1,000 employees. UTC Aerospace Systems is one of the world's largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products.
Growing Gulf Shores
Auburn University officials broke ground on the satellite veterinary hospital soon to be located in Gulf Shores. This 24,000-square-foot facility will house AU programs in addition to the veterinary hospital, including a College of Agriculture, an Aviation Center, an Office of Research and Economic Development and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
South Alabama's Premier Site
The South Alabama Mega Site received CSX Select Site Designation solidifying the land as a premier site in the United States for advanced manufacturing. Located between Mobile and Pensacola, the site is positioned in the fastest growing county in Alabama with a regional workforce of more than 500,000.
Business Incubator Announcement of Hatch
The Baldwin Community and Economic Development Foundation partnered with The University of Alabama and the City of Fairhope to bring the first incubator in The University of Alabama’s Technology Village program to life in Baldwin County. The program’s focus is to assist communities in developing and operating technology-based entrepreneurial centers. With this partnership, we introduce Hatch to Baldwin County.
Baldwin County Accolades
- Alabama Center for Real Estate – The Baldwin County real estate market continues to thrive with year-to-date sales up 19.4 percent from 2016.
- GALLUP News – Alabama was recognized in a poll for having the highest percentage of engaged workers in the U.S. with 37 percent.
- SmartAsset – Baldwin County made SmartAsset's list of the Top 5 Best Places to get a Mortgage in Alabama.
- The University of Alabama Center for Business and Economic Research – Baldwin County is projected to become the 4th largest county in Alabama by 2040.
- Baldwin’s Boom – Baldwin County accounts for 68 percent of the tourism across Alabama’s five leading counties – Baldwin, Jefferson, Madison, Mobile and Montgomery.
- Alabama Community of Excellence – Spanish Fort earned the designation of an “Alabama Community of Excellence” as the community successfully completed the Alabama Communities of Excellence (ACE) comprehensive three-phase approach to economic community development.
- 2017 Best Cities for Job Growth – Baldwin County was ranked in the top ten Best Small Cities For Job Growth in 2017 by NewGeography.
- 4 of Top 5 fastest growing cities in Alabama located in Baldwin County – Gulf Shores, Daphne, Foley and Fairhope rank as four of the top five fastest growing cities in Alabama in 2017.
- Talent Attraction – According to Emsi's 2017 scorecard, Baldwin County ranked as the top county in Alabama for talent attraction, as well as one of the top 100 counties in the United States.
- Innovation Award – Quality Filters received EDPA's 2017 Innovation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Innovative Manufacturing.
- Incoming Investments – Baldwin County ranked #1 in Alabama by SmartAsset for incoming investments for the second straight year, leading the state in business & GDP growth.
- Forbes’ – Baldwin County made Forbes’ list of Best Small Places for Business and Careers.
- Made in Alabama – Alabama ranked as the 6th best state in the U.S. for doing business based on factors like business environment, labor climate & economic development policies.
- USA Today – The Daphne-Fairhope-Foley MSA ranked #7 in the United State for job growth in 2017, with an employment change of +4.9 percent.
BCEDA Marketing Efforts & Events
Paris Air Show
BCEDA continued to market Baldwin County as one of the hottest destinations for aerospace manufacturing in the U.S. at the 2017 Paris Air Show. The county offers a host of assets for aerospace companies, including long-term success and sustainability.
Area Development Workshops and Consultant Forums
Across several workshops and consultant forums, we accompanied the many voices in site selection consulting for an intense program of presentations, panels and roundtable discussions focused on current trends, strategies and solutions influencing corporate site selection.
Site Selectors Guild Events
At this year’s annual Site Selectors Guild events, we shared knowledge, exchanged interactive ideas and networked with consultants from around the world. The Guild is comprised of the world’s foremost professional site selection consultants that provide location strategy to corporations across the globe and for every industry, sector and function.
Back in April, the BCEDA team headed to Orlando to connect with customers, colleagues and prospects at the MRO Americas show, the world's largest gathering of Aviation Maintenance Professionals.
Hamburg Aviation Forum
This past November, we made our way to Germany to attend the Hamburg Aviation Forum, a global supply chain conference and exhibition of the aerospace industry. With over 700 participants from 22 countries, we were able to connect with suppliers and customers alike.
State of Economy Event
Congressman Bradley Byrne discussed topics impacting Baldwin County’s regional economy at the 2017 State of Economy event, while Dr. Lawrence Yun, Chief Economist for the National Association of REALTORS, served as the keynote speaker. Attendees also had the opportunity to hear from local business and community leaders, including Tim Martin of OWA, Matt White of White-Spunner Real Estate, John Wilson of the Baldwin County Board of Education and Ormand Thompson of Infirmary Health.
While 2017 proved to be a year full of exciting announcements and growth in Baldwin County, we’re gearing up for even more achievements in job growth, quality of life, innovation and more as we enter into 2018. To stay up-to-date with our announcements, accolades, marketing efforts and developments, take a look at our News tab for spotlights. For more information or to talk to our team about Baldwin County and its benefits, get in touch with us.